Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Silence is Red, White, and Blue...

On this blog, I make a lot of comments about a lot of things. But you may have noticed the glaring absence of political comments on this page.

With today being a fairly monumental day on the Democratic campaign trail, I thought now might be a good time to explain my silence.

My friends, family, and I all have very different beliefs, be they political, religious, or otherwise. I enjoy the diversity of opinions possessed by those around me. My friends and family make me think and debate, which helps strengthens my beliefs or helps me change my mind for the better.

Because I value this diversity of opinion, I think it would be inappropriate for me to use this site, which I try to keep conversational, informative, and fun, to lecture about the merits of my politics.

I will tell you these things:

1) I am a registered Democrat.
2) Jeremy and I are divided on who we support for the Democratic nomination, which has lead us to numerous fun and colorful debates.

If you want to talk with me about my beliefs, ask me. I would much rather have a spirited, face-to-face discussion/debate with you than print a one-sided diatribe. As you may recall, editorials are not my forte.

That being said, I would like to make one comment about the media, of which I am a member. There has been a lot of talk about national news outlets visibly favoring Mr. Obama. Not every organization is guilty of this, but, overwhelmingly, I believe it is true.

As a journalist, I can tell you truly unbiased reporting is impossible. You cannot undo who you are, how you were raised, or outside factors that contribute to why you do the job you do.

However, this kind of irresponsible reporting is unacceptable. Whomever you support, be it Obama, Clinton, McCain, or someone else, you should find this contrast striking and appalling.

From the New York Times (of which I am, generally, a huge fan):

The day was the latest installment in the riveting drama between two formidable, historic candidates: the first woman to be a serious contender for president and the charismatic young black man who has packed arenas across the country and overtaken Mrs. Clinton in many polls and the delegate count.

An "unbiased" article would have said, "the first woman and the first black man to be serious contenders for president."

No comments: