Monday, March 31, 2008

It's Going to Be a Long Summer...

And, unfortunately, a very short fall for the Florida Marlins.

Yes, I am usurping my husband's position as the baseball blogger in this family. But I feel compelled, as I sit here and watch the first of probably hundreds of Marlins games this season, to point out a few things that will make my weeknights truly depressing for the next several months.

The Marlins' payroll is $21 million. Let me give you an idea of just how small that is: Not only is it the lowest in professional baseball, it is less than some minor league teams.

The average professional baseball team payroll is four times more than the Marlins, about $90 million. The New York Yankees have a payroll of more than $200 million.

Owner Jeff Loria makes excuses, saying the team doesn't profit from stadium usage fees, because the team doesn't own the stadium. But any fan knows, it's simply greed.

Every bright spot the Marlin's have had during the past several years are shipped out as soon as they are able to command a decent paycheck. Such is the case this year with our all-star, Miguel Cabrerra, and pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

So why do we keep watching?

Pure and simple: The Marlins consistently represent the future of professional baseball. Players, such as NL Rookie of the Year Hanley Ramirez:


Or slugger (and, if I might add, looker) Josh Willingham (who has already hit a home run today):

will be something to watch this year. They are glimmers of hope that, once they're traded to a team that will respect them in another year or two, we Marlins fans can say we got to root for them once upon a time.

As Jeremy said, "It's like seeing Bon Jovi in 1982, before he was anybody!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to pay attention to tonight's devastation so I can attempt to find some semblance of silver lining.

No comments: