Thursday, October 16, 2008

Time After Time

SO sorry I have been absent for awhile. Things have been really busy with school, but I'll try not to be so slack in the future.

However, I will be spending a bit less time with this blog, because I have started a new one. My new site, www.78picas.tumblr.com, will deal specifically with journalism issues (mostly pertaining to new media and convergence). I'm doing this in an effort to get my research topics organized and to stay abreast of the changes in the industry. I hope you'll check it out.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, Jeremy and I went to my 10-year high school reunion. Woah...


We had a great time visiting with my old friends and acquaintances. But, I must mention something a bit odd...

I went to my reunion hoping to impress (as most of us do). I figured people would be wowed by my going back to school or my cool career in journalism or, mostly, my hottie of a husband.

Strangely, none of those things seemed to matter. 

No, the most impressive thing was -- wait for it --

We took a train to the reunion.

It's all anyone wanted to talk about! 

Really?!? 


The train ride was actually enjoyable. It took about 10 hours, but, as we traveled overnight, it didn't feel that long.

The seats were comfy, there was plenty of leg room, and the lounge did not fail to impress.


It's funny how things change so much in some ways, but not at all in others. 

Here's a group of us that were close in high school. Funnily enough, we chose to meet at Las Margaritas, our old hangout from back in the day.

It was just assumed we would meet there.

(From left: me, Allison, Laura, Becky, Melissa, Jenny, and Katie).


It was great catching up with everybody. Even though we're all in very different places in our lives and so much time has passed, we were able to conduct a conversation like we had just seen each other yesterday.

After lunch, Jeremy and I dolled up for the reunion.


I had a great time catching up with old friends...


But what was even cooler was the time I spent talking with people I really didn't know that well in high school.


It's funny how people seem so different, so out-of-touch, when you're all crammed in a high school. Yet, in the real world, without the barriers of cliques and frenemies, we are able to connect with people with whom we truly share interests.

What's even cooler is that since the reunion, I have been in touch with several classmates via Facebook who I didn't even get a chance to chat with at the reunion. I've even been able to forge some friendships there, including one with a former cheerleader I barely knew, who is also getting her PhD. and has offered me some valuable advice.

I must say, the real world is treating me much better than high school ever did!

No comments: