Thursday, October 11, 2007

You CAN go home again...

For most of my young life, I struggled to define my location as "home." I feared calling Raleigh, N.C., my home, because so much of me was still in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and vice versa. Plus, with parents who both regarded me as part of their homes, how could I possibly choose?

It wasn't until I went to work at Disney World that I discovered the home I had been looking for had been right under my nose for nearly four years. When asked to give our hometown (so it could be printed on our nametags), the answer came without hesitation: Boone, N.C.


I spent four years (and one very warm summer) at Appalachian State University, from 1998-2002. It was, without question, the best time of my life. At Appalachian, I found a home, because I was constantly surrounded by friends who were closer than sisters. My residence hall buddies literally became my family, and, as a result of my devotion to them and my school, I became active in just about every on-campus leadership organization: the newspaper, radio station, campus resident association executive board, student government, and so on.

Appalachian and my family there became my passion, and I owe all of my current success, both professional and personal, to the lessons I learned and opportunities afforded me there.

It is that passion that made my trip back home for Homecoming this past weekend so sweet.

Jeremy and I spent Friday catching up with old friends at the Daniel Boone Inn, where you stuff yourself sick on fried Southern food, served family style. As if our bellies weren't full enough, we carried the party over to a new bar, called The Library (cleverly named so any charges on your credit card will look to your parents as though you were buying things at the school library).


We enjoyed dangerous 3-foot tall beers (including one skunky one chosen by my husband!), and stumbled back to the hotel around 1 a.m. Word to the wise, avoid any beer with the word "Mountain" in the title that is made in Winston Salem!


Saturday, our friends and I attended the Homecoming football game, but not before hitting my favorite restaurant, The Black Cat. It is a cool little whole in the wall that serves delicious chicken nachos!


We also made our rounds at the various stores, and marvelled about how much the campus has changed.

Then, it was onto the game, where Appalachian (in true champion form) beat Gardner Webb 45-7. Ouch!


At the end of the evening, we enjoyed a nice dinner at Outback, catching up on old times, and enjoying new ones. I miss everyone already! I can't wait to go back next year! (Please, Jeremy...!!!)


Another word to the wise, when applying fake tatoos to your face, always remember to apply sunscreen as well. I'm still sporting the vague outline of an "A" on my right cheek!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Yeah! I was hoping you'd post about your weekend. I love all the descriptions and pictures. Thanks. Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

what an awesome weekend. good writing!!

Anonymous said...

Check this site out....
http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/brews.html#

Pilot Mountain Pale Ale....ugh