Saturday, September 29, 2007

She ain't heavy, she's my T-Rex...

Jeremy and I visited the Anniston Natural History Museum today, which now includes the famous exhibit, "A T-Rex Named Sue." It was a small town museum, but still an enjoyable experience.

For a short time, I actually entertained the idea of becoming an archeologist, which is why exhibits such as these interest me. After one archeology course, and one evening the lab cleaning rocks, that dream was quickly dismissed. Still, the findings of others intrigue me.


I was a little disappointed to discover the bones of the most completed T-Rex on exhibit today (90% complete skeleton) were not the real bones. Although, I suppose it would be unreasonable to expect the Chicago museum that owns the real bones to send out their $8.6 million prized possession on tour!

Even though they weren't the real thing, it was still neat to see that 42-foot long, 13-foot tall monster up close and personal. I would recommend the experience to anyone in the area.


The rest of the museum was semi-interesting. A small Egyptian exhibit featured two mummies, and a few artifacts.


But the main attractions were the stuffed animals. Birds, bears, snakes, bugs. They were everywhere. Taxidermy is of little interest to me, so I moved on.


Despite the modest collection, I enjoyed myself. It was nice to spend a day outside of the wild world of journalism.

Oh, did I mention the visit was partially for a journalism school assignment? Oh well...

1 comment:

Barb said...

Interesting that you took photos of the mummies. Do you remember going to the museum in St. Augustine. They had a boy/child mummy and we had a hard time dragging you out of there. I still have that picture ! you were in your "hammer" pants! LYMI