Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Working to tears...

I wish I could make sense of why bad things happen.

I suppose if I could, the Nobel prize committee may be knocking down my door, or I'd have to start my own religion or something. As it is, I do not hold the answers, nor do a have many theories.

Unfortunately, in my business, it's so easy to get jaded. Human tragedy fades into the background of routine "work stuff," and we become numb to the things that horrify unsuspecting others.

Even in the aftermath of devestation and uncomprehendable anguish caused by Hurricane Katrina, I found myself blocking out reports that seemed to be running on an eternal loop on CNN, MSNBC and other news stations.

I'm not proud of this.

Maybe I was just over-inundated. Maybe I've just seen too much of it all before. Maybe I just can't relate.

I've written countless stories about hurricane destruction; stories about the massive tsunami that swept portions of Asia earlier this year; stories about murder, rape and child abuse. And yet, these things seem foreign to me.

Am I being cold, or am I just doing my job?

Staying objective should be the responsibility of every reporter, but compassion should be the responsibility of life. We're granted daily glimpses of tragedy; reminders that any day, any second, it could happen to us.

So, how can we, a society overloaded with images of death in Iraq, drownings in Lake George and flooding and poverty in New Orleans really "let it in?"

For me, it's a matter of relativity. When I'm writing a story about a girl who was snatched from her house and raped by 14 men, who has it worse -- the rape victim, or me, who has to take time out of her busy day to write a story about it?

It's a no-brainer.

I can't force myself to tears every time I see a disturbing image flash across the television, and I can't (won't) live my life constantly feeling sad for the pain in the world, or constantly worrying that I or one of my loved ones could be the next to be hurt. But I can show compassion by treasuring each gift that I have -- knowing their are people worse off in the world than I can ever imagine being, and being grateful for the people and things I've been blessed to receive.

After the news story is run isn't the time to tell someone how you feel about them. Show your compassion for the world through the small few whose lives you impact everyday.

No comments: