Friday, October 21, 2005

Crazy is as crazy does...

Let me go ahead and quickly answer everyone's questions/comments that I've been sent regarding my flight over the hurricane tonight:

No, it's perfectly safe. The governor of Florida even takes these hurricane flights.

Yes, it will be quite an amazing experience. I'm looking forward to it.

No, Jeremy doesn't mind. He thinks it's great.

Yes, this was my idea.

No, I wasn't born under power lines.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

So, here's the update on my flight, scheduled for 2 a.m. tonight: I received a call from the publisist who arranges these flights yesterday telling me to make sure I bring my own food and drinks for the plane (what, no steak or fish option?).

Which prompts me to ask what the length of the flight will be.

Response: "Oh, about eight hours."

D'OH!

Well, the good news is, we'll get to see the sunrise over the hurricane, which I'm told is quite an amazing sight! More good news: I'll have a wireless laptop with Internet connection and my digital camera with me, which means I may be able to update this blog from the plane, so you know what I know before the rest of the world.

If you happen to be up at 4 in the morning...

Regardless, I'll do the best I can to keep everyone informed. Right now, the storm is directly over the Yucatan Penninsula (Cancun and Cozumel, for those of you who know it only as a party spot). It's apparently stalled there a bit, bringing its possible hit to us sometime on Monday, as opposed to Sunday morning as originally thought.

Everyone here is in limbo. Gas stations are low on or out of gas. Stores are boarded up, but trying to remain open. And, to quote my new favorite singer, Jack Johnson, we're all just "sitting, waiting, wishing."

More tonight when I fly the horribly unfriendly skies!

No comments: