Monday, May 12, 2008

Swim Dachshund, Swim!...

We had an eventful night last night at my aunt and uncle's place in Virginia, where Jeremy and I are camping out during our 3-week internship at Washingtonpost.com.

At about midnight, my cousins and I were playing Scene It!, with the puppies asleep on my lap, when I put my foot on the floor and stepped right into a puddle. I was astonished! I wondered how in the world the dogs could have peed on the floor right under my feet without my noticing.

I went to the bathroom to get some paper towels when I unwittingly kicked my foot into a huge, cold puddle of water, soaking the ankles of my jeans.

"That's a bit unusual," I thought, still wondering if the dogs had peed a huge, clear puddle in the bathroom.

When I went out to inform the others of my find, we noticed water was also coming in on the tile near where we were sitting. Within moments, every tiled area of the basement was flooded.

As we scrambled to figure out what was happening, we noticed the carpet was taking on the properties of a small amusement park wave pool. Every step we took left a watery imprint.

We sprang to life, unplugging electrical appliances and moving all of our luggage upstairs. My uncle managed to get the water pump working, stopping the flood from worsening.

In the midst of this scurry, one of the dogs decided to poo right in the walkway where we were trying to shuttle all the stuff upstairs. I guess that showed us for blaming the first puddle on them!

After everything was safe, we all had a good laugh, because, really, what else can you do? We stayed up drinking beers and making snarky comments while watching The Patriot in the dry upstairs living room.

I must say, nothing is every dull around here!

No comments: